Home : International Students : Employment : On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

You are allowed to work:
  • part-time (20 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time quarters (quarters are set by the CCS academic calendar and include finals week).
  • full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between quarters.
  • full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during your annual vacation quarter.

Full-time International Students on F-1 Visas who are in status and are academic students (not IELP students) can work on the campus of the college or university that issued their I-20 while they are enrolled in a full course of study.

Your CCS (Spokane Falls Community College or Spokane Community College) I-20 is proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment only at the campus where you are a full-time student (either SFCC or SCC).

The type and availability of employment is different each quarter and you must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit. To maintain status means that you are a full-time registered student (except for approved exceptions) in good academic standing with a valid I-20.

Expiration of On-campus Employment Eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility expires:
  • When you graduate.  It expires the last day of your final quarter (per CCS calendar), even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
  • If you transfer to another university or college; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
  • If you violate your F-1 status.
Work Study

Some campus jobs are designated as “work study” positions. The job description might include a statement such as: “position open only to CCS students who qualify for work study awards.” Work study awards are part of federal financial aid packages and are only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. As an F-1 student, generally you are not eligible for a work study position and should not apply.

However, there are some cases where the term “work study” might be used in a more general sense and not necessarily refer to a financial aid award. You can contact the office that posted the job opening to confirm whether or not you must have a work study award to be eligible for the job.

Find an On-campus Job

SFCC and SCC has some general fund positions (not jobs tied to U.S. Federal or State financial aid) available on campus.  You can apply for them by contacting the
Student Success and Career Services (at SCC) located in Building 6 (the Lair) and the Student Employment Services office (at SFCC) for more information. 

On-campus jobs are also advertised on flyers posted around campus and at the
Student Success and Career Services Center at SCC and the Student Employment Services Office at SFCC

SCC Center:  Building  6, Room 0112, (509) 533-8157
Ms. Norma Cantu, 

SFCC Center:  Building 17, Room 226, (509) 533-3540
Ms. Mindy Smith,

Your Responsibility:  Know the Rules

It is your responsibility to research jobs and to understand your on-campus work eligibility.  It is not the job of CCS staff who work outside of the Global Education Office to thoroughly know the immigration regulations.  It is possible you will be offered employment that you are not eligible to accept or for your employment eligibility to expire without your payroll coordinator notifying you.  Be sure to review all information provided by the Global Education Office and consult with the International Program Coordinator at either SFCC or SCC if you have any concerns
or questions.

Note:  Please contact the Global Education Office
for further information and to process your Social Security Number letter to take to the local Social Security Administration office if offered a position on-campus.