What is CPT?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary training authorization for work directly related to your field of study. CPT is authorized by the Global Education Office in accordance with the F-1 regulations. You can apply for CPT during the regular academic year (you must remain registered full-time) and during your annual vacation quarter.

CPT may be part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week). If you accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT authorization, you lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT), another type of employment authorization for F-1 students. Part-time CPT and fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization does not affect your OPT eligibility.


You may be eligible for CPT if you:

  • Are currently in valid F-1 status.
  • Have been enrolled at a college or university in the U.S. on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year. ("One academic year" at CCS is defined as three full-time quarters per the academic calendar, including final exams week. An exception to the academic year rule is provided for graduate students whose programs require immediate participation in CPT.)
  • Are in a major (Premajor students, who are not yet admitted into a major, are not eligible for CPT).
  • Will earn your degree from CCS (visiting exchange students are not eligible for CPT).

Credit Requirement

You may request authorization for CPT to participate in training that is integral to your established curriculum. Training may be required or optional for your degree. Required training must be clearly identified and described in the course catalog or similar publication.

If the training is not required by your degree program, the Global Education Office requires you to receive academic credit from an internship, cooperative education program, practicum, or similar course through your academic department. Your academic department might not require you to earn credit for an optional training/work experience, but the Global Education Office requires academic credit be earned in order to authorize CPT.

The credit must be earned in the same quarter for which CPT is authorized, though exceptions may be granted for students pursuing CPT during their vacation quarter. You must earn at least one CPT-related credit for each quarter of authorization granted.

Apply for CPT

Make an appointment with Trina Allen, Katherine Thompson, or Teresa Gay to discuss your options.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

For further questions you might have regarding CPT, check out this page to find out more.