Home : International Students : Employment


This section contains information on F-1 student employment options, including how to obtain a Social Security Number.

F-1 Employment Options

"Employment" is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. Note that the off-campus employment opportunities generally require you to have completed one academic year (three quarters) to be eligible to apply for authorization. Consult an International Program Coordinator in our Global Education Office with any questions related to F-1 status and employment.

F-1 status allows the following 5 categories of employment:

On-campus Employment
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Severe Economic Hardship
International Organizations

On-Campus Employment

Full-time International Students on F-1 Visas who are in status can work on campus up to 20 hours each week. The type and availability of employment is different each quarter. Please contact the Global Education Office for further information.

Off-Campus Work Permission

International students may work on campus while attending Community Colleges of Spokane. International students are not permitted to work off campus.

Students are eligible after completing their program of study or after completing at least 9 months of their program for a one-year work authorization (curricular practical training--CPT or optional practical training--OPT). This "internship" permits international students to work anywhere in the United States for up to 12 months.

These one-year work authorizations are a great way for international students to improve their English, earn money, develop professional skills, and broaden their cultural experience in the United States. Call or visit the Global Education Office.