Home : International Students : Current Students : Immigration Issues : Important Government Documents

Important Government Documents


Every international student must have a passport issued by their country of citizenship and it must be carried whenever you travel outside of the United States and whenever you enter the United States.  The information on your I-20 form and other official documents must match the information in your passport.

International students are required to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after they enter the United States and it is their responsibility to ensure passport validity during their stay.  Check the expiration date on your passport before you apply to Community Colleges of Spokane (CCS) and plan to renew it if it will expire before the end of those 6 months.

If you are in the United States and need to renew your passport, contact the closest embassy or consulate for your country of citizenship.

Lost/Stolen Passport

If you lose your passport or it is stolen, take immediate steps to replace it.  Contact our office and let us know that your passport is missing.

After that, contact your embassy or consulate as soon as possible.  In addition, contact the local police department to file a police report of a lost or stolen passport.

I-20 Form

All current international students on F-1 visas must have a current I-20 form.  The I-20 was issued to you by CCS when you were admitted to one of our colleges.  It tells you the start and end dates of your program, your level of study, your major, the financial cost of your program, and your source of financial support. 

There are 3 pages to the I-20 form and the 3rd page is used for special endorsements, such as travel signatures, authorization for off-campus employment, etc.

Do not lose your I-20.  It is your responsibility to make sure the information in it is accurate and current.  However, if you lose it, contact us immediately and we can reprint one for you through SEVIS.  We highly recommend that you keep the original I-20 form issued by CCS and all other educational institutions safely stored away.  We also suggest making copies of your I-20s and keep them in a safe place.

CCS will not make available to you the copies of your I-20 or any other document that is in your official file.

I-94 Form

Prior to April 30, 2013, USCBP issued a paper I-94 card on all flights entering the United States and these were processed by USCBP al all air and seaports in the United States.  After that date, USCBP will no longer issue a paper I-94 card and instead go to an electronic I-94.  However, full roll out of the new process will be completed by May 21, 2013, so you may still be given a paper I-94 between April 30 and May 21, 2013.  Further information about the new process can be found on USCBP's website.

Exceptions:  If you enter the United States via a land border from Canada or Mexico, you will continue to receive a paper I-94 card.

If you would still like a paper copy of the I-04 card for your records, you may print one from the USCBP website.  You can find further information about the I-94 here.  You may retrieve your electronic I-94 number by visiting www.cbp.gov/i94.

Additional information about arriving in the United States can be found at http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/arriving.